This kit will enable you to install a Mini Truck Crawl Box in your Tacoma. We believe that you won't find a better, more reliable product anywhere, at any price. We have greatly increased the oil flow in and around the Adapter for cooler operation. We have also increased the strength of the casting by making the walls thicker. These kits are in stock and ready to ship.
NOTE: Installation requires an additional top shifting Toyota gear-driven transfer case, driveshaft modifications, and floorboard modifications.
Contact our Tech Support Line for further information at 928-855-6341.
Check out LCEngineering.com for New Products, Tech Articles, Specials & Monthly Newsletters!
To open a printable PDF version of this instruction
Additional Items Needed:
NOTE: To build a dual transfer case crawler, you will need most of the parts that make up high/low section of a gear-driven Toyota
transfer case. Below is a photo showing the factory parts that you will need from a stock transfer case.
1.Weld the provided key stock to the side of the shift fork
as shown below. This prevents the front transfer case
shifter from going side to side and only allows it to shift
front and rear
2. If your rear case has this hi-lo shift rail, follow step 3,
otherwise, move on to step 5.
3. Perform this step only after reviewing step 2. Cut 3/8”
off of the flat side of the hi-lo shift rail
4. After cutting, your shift rail should look like the bottom
one in the image.
5. Using a brush, apply axle grease to the base of the
6. Slide the coupler bearing over the coupler.
7. Grease the coupler bearing.
8. Slide the 2.28 low speed gear over the coupler bearing.
9. Slide the provided bearing spacer onto the coupler,
above the low speed gear.
10. Insert dowel pins into holes.
11. Hold the bearing spacer with one finger and flip the
assembly upside down. Slide the coupler (with spacer,
bearing and low speed gear) into place on the dual
adapter as shown below.
12. Turn the adapter over so that the coupler is under the
adapter. Apply the provided snap ring to the coupler.
13. Turn the dual case adapter over so that the low speed
gear previously installed is again facing up.
14. Place the collar into the shift fork groove.
15. Slide the high/low shift rail, fork, and collar onto
coupler. Note the position of the shift rail going into
the dual adapter.
16. Fully seat the shift fork assembly onto the low speed
gear. This may require turning the shift hub slightly.
17. Apply grease to the dual case needle bearing.
18. Install the counter shaft into the adapter plate needle
19. Grease the pocket bearing from the original transfer
20. Install the pocket bearing into the coupler.
21. Slide the input gear into the coupler pocket bearing.
Seat the input gear all the way down so that it meshes
with the counter shaft gear.
22. Place the gasket onto the face of the dual adapter as
23. Install five of the new studs into the empty reduction
24. Place housing on the adapter.
25. Start the nut as shown before fully mating the housing
26. Install two stock bolts in the passenger side of the dual
27. Install the nuts and tighten.
28. Slide the snap ring into place over the counter shaft
29. Install the snap ring over the input gear bearing.
30. Place the original detent ball into the hole on the
passenger side of the dual adapter.
31. Place the original detent spring into the hole on the
passenger side of the dual adapter.
32. Place a drop of LocTite® onto the detent ball plug
and install into the adapter using a 6mm allen wrench.
33. Install the drain plug and the gasket (provided with
the kit) in to bottom of the dual adapter. Tighten
using 10mm Allen wrench.
34. Your crawl box is now completed.